30 Mar Notice of Acceptance of an Enforceable Undertaking under Part 11 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011
On 28th March 2013, an employee of Hume Doors & Timber (Aust) Pty Ltd suffered grievous bodily harm while unloading a truck at the company’s Waterloo Avenue, Thornton
The WorkCover Authority of NSW investigated the incident and subsequently alleged that Hume Doors & Timber (Aust) Pty Ltd contravened section 32 section 19(1) of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
This notice has been placed under the terms of an enforceable undertaking and acknowledges acceptance of an undertaking, that is enforceable under the Act, from Hume Doors & Timber (Aust) Pty Ltd ,ABN 39 001 472 493 as settlement of the abovementioned alleged contravention.
The undertaking requires the following actions:
· An annual load restraint course for loaders, forklift drivers, supervisors and truck drivers to ensure that risks are identified and appropriate level of management is implemented.
· The provision and installation of a GPS vehicle tracking and fleet management system to increase the level of driver safety
· Design and installation of visually attractive safety noticeboards to increase easy access by all staff of safety documents and important information
· Upgrading and enhancement of the Hume Doors & Timber (Aust) website to provide global access to external/internal staff no matter their location.
· Undertaking a “Safe Level” of English project to address the skills needs in language, literacy and numeracy identified amongst our staff from “Non English Speaking” backgrounds to improve their safety in work.
· Ongoing continuous performance improvement developed in our supervisors and leading hands through regular upskilling and training.
· Through an ongoing collaboration with the Timber Trade Industrial Association develop and deliver a risk assessment and best practice machine guarding manual for the timber industry.
· A community safety day will be held by Hume Doors and Timber (Aust) Pty Ltd and Cronulla Sharks collaborating to reinforce the importance of a Workplace Health and Safety in the community. There is a month long safety campaign and this includes match day sponsorship. On the day of the game there will be 200m of LED signage, generating television coverage on Foxtel/Global television and possibly Channel 9 meaning the safety message would be broadcast to a national audience as well as those at the game. During the month the campaign will reach in excess of 100,000 Sharks followers of Facebook & Twitter.
· Hume Doors and Timber (Aust) Pty Ltd will provide skills and knowledge through a program of training and work experience to high school students who may be considering a career in logistics/manufacturing. The aim is to impart the safety first concept to students to help prepare them for a safe working career
The full undertaking and general information about enforceable undertakings is available at www.workcover.nsw.gov.au